Secondary Navigation Menu
Home > Years > 1963
- Assassination in Dallas of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 35th president of the United States.
- Death of Pope John XXIII, instigator of the Vatican II council created for the purpose of modernizing the Catholic Church.
- Intrigue in Great Britain when the Profumo scandal breaks. John D. Profumo, Secretary of State for War, resigns when his relationship with call girl Christine Keeler is brought to light. She also had close relations with a member of the Soviet Embassy staff in London.
- Robbery of a British postal train containing more than 2.6 million pounds Sterling, considered the robbery of the century.
- Death in France of singer Édith Piaf and writer Jean Cocteau.