Secondary Navigation Menu
Home > Years > 1968
- Insurrection in Poland. Thousands of students demand more freedom. They are supported by the workers. Controlling forces in Poland violently repress the demonstrations.
- Soviet tanks enter Czechoslovakia to put an end to the "Spring of Prague", an attempt to impart a more human face to socialism.
- Senator Robert Francis Kennedy, former justice minister under the presidency of his brother John, is assassinated in Los Angeles.
- Reverend Martin Luther King, spokesman for the civil rights of Black Americans, is assassinated in Memphis while giving a speech.
- The Summer Olympics take place in Mexico. During the games, two Black medal winners, Tommie Smith and John Carlos, raise a black-gloved fist in protest against racial segregation in the United States. As a result of this bold gesture, both men are banned from Olympic sports for life.
- May 1968 in France. The French republic is subjected to a serious economic, socio-political and cultural crisis.